Located in central Bhutan, Trongsa holds an important place in Bhutan’s political history. Owing to its strategic location, Trongsa was the main power center for centuries. The only trade route between eastern and western Bhutan passed through Trongsa, running directly through the dzong, which gave Trongsa Penlop (governor) immense power and control over trade and tax revenue. After hereditary Monarchy was introduced in Bhutan in 1907, the first two Kings ruled from Trongsa. Traditionally, the crown prince is appointed as Trongsa Penlop before acceding to the golden throne.
Trongsa town – a cluster of buildings built chock-o-block, is located on a steep slope, flanked by the Ta Dzong (Watch Tower) on a ridge above the East-West National Highway, overlooking the commanding Trongsa Dzong (fortress). The national highway runs right through the town.